This placard is issued to residents who have partnered with the police department by joining the Antioch Neighborhood Watch Group. It is displayed in the window as a deterrent to criminals, a useful tool for providing information to responding officers and a public display of a partnership formed between the community and its police force.
What Is Neighborhood Watch?
Neighborhood Watch is an effective crime prevention program that enlists the active participation of our residents in a partnership with our Officers, to reduce crime, solve problems, and improve the quality of life in our town. In it you will get to know and work with your neighbors, and learn how to:
- Recognize and report crimes and suspicious activities and/or persons
- Protect yourself, your family and your property
- Protect your neighbor’s family and property
- Identify crimes and problems in your area and work with APD personnel to solve them.
What Can Citizens Do?
- Become a neighborhood “watcher”. If you see a crime or suspicious activity in your neighborhood, immediately report what you have seen to the police
- Meet APD Officers in an effort to promote cooperation and understanding
- Receive training in crime prevention tactics, traffic enforcement, Illinois Criminal Statutes, Village Ordinances, etc.
- Attend regular meetings to address needs, concerns and celebrate victories
- Understand specific laws and differences between civil matters and police matters
- Learn to effectively document and report information to the police
- Be alert! Write down descriptions of persons, license plates, vehicles
- Keep a trusted neighbor informed if your house will be unoccupied for an extended period
- Leave your emergency contact information with that neighbor
- Look after your neighbor’s house when they are away including collecting mail, newspapers and other deliveries
Want to get involved?
If you are interested in becoming involved in Antioch Police Departments Neighborhood Watch program, please contact Deputy Chief Daryl Youngs at email@example.com or you can call him at 847-395-8585 x 133